Saturday, July 25, 2009

Of a little intelligent book The LIfe of Pi......

Well, it turns out....I read!! Actually I do read, that was my version of a dramatic entrance to this entry!! Have I got your attention yet?! What do I read? Hmmmm....I picked up a book by Yann Martel titled "Life of Pi" a few weeks ago....Some of you might be wondering, "if he picked it up weeks ago, why only read it now?" Well, the thing is, I picked up 2 books...it was one of those impulse buy when I saw this little red sticker on the book shelf that read, "2nd book half off!" Ah.....retail therapy......bliss bliss! Needless to say, I bought 2 books....Thankfully I only had enough cash in the wallet left for these two books....If only I had more, well, let's just say I'm a true believer in retail therapy, it's good for the soul.....yeah! But so bad for the wallet!!

Anyhoos, back to the book....well, I have to admit that I had no idea who this Yann chap is! It's publicity and advertisement I tell you! ARGH!! All I know then is that it was a "NUMBER ONE BESTSELLER" because it was conveniently printed onto the book cover, as was this "winner of THE Man BOOKER PRIZE 2002" So I thought, heck, if it's good enough for whoever gave out such awards! Plus, it had a cute little drawing of a white little lifeboat otherwise known as sampan with what I interpreted then as a very tanned, skinny, curled up person and a tiger twice the size of the aforementioned man....intriguing no? oh yes, and the boat was in the sea of what looked like many many many sharks and a turtle....SO RANDOM! So, now I HAD TO BUY THE BOOK!!!!

And so I did. the end....

LOL....nope, kidding, well, I've just started reading it and my my....it's cute a clever little book....there are amazing phrases and sentences that just really captured my attention and I have decided to share some of it....yes, this is the whole point of this entry....I know, I know, it took me a while to get to the point, I think I was inspired by Stephen King, his introduction takes half the thickness of the books he write!

".....a tie is a noose, and inverted though it is, it will hang a man nonetheless if he is not careful..."


more to come....

1 comment:

Mei Ann Tan said...

hahaha! I read the book.. halfway though.. My name is Pi, "goes to the blackboard and writes Pi = 3.143".. I remember he swims and something along those lines.. lol!